National Advisory Committee
To provide quality, independent, consultation based advice to the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs on the effectiveness of the Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service.
Terms of Reference
The role of the National Advisory Committee (NAC) is to:
- Provide independent and distinctive advice to the Minister on the needs of the veteran community and the ways in which these can be delivered by VVCS.
- Support the VVCS to develop programs and services that are:
- responsive to the mental health needs of Australian veterans and their families
- based on a health and wellness approach
- co-ordinated with other mental health agencies
- consistent with the government’s mental health policy, enabling VVCS to be a key component of the Department of Veterans’ Affairs delivery of community based mental health care.
- Provide guidance to VVCS on:
- issues and needs within the veteran and defence communities that impact on the delivery of VVCS programs;
- strategic service delivery partnerships that will enable VVCS to link with other providers in an integrated approach to mental health care.
- Assess and report to the Minister on the operations and quality of outcomes delivered to the veteran community through VVCS programs.
Appointment to the NAC is for three years. Ministerial appointments to the committee are made on the basis that while committee members may be members of interested organisations they do not serve on the committee as representatives of those organisations.
The NAC meets three times a year at VVCS locations across the country. Secretariat support is provided by the VVCS National Operations team.
At each meeting, the NAC facilitate and engage in consultation with the local VVCS client community to learn first-hand about how VVCS is working for themselves and their communities, and where they see areas for potential improvement. The NAC consolidates these learnings, and uses this to inform the advice they provide to the Minister.
Please contact the NAC with your feedback, ideas and suggestions to help ensure that VVCS services continue to meet the needs of the community. You can contact the NAC via the Secretariat:
VVCS NAC Secretariat
Department of Veterans’ Affairs
GPO Box 9998 Brisbane QLD 4001