Post 1975 Conflicts
Australia’s operational tempo has gradually increased over the decades since the conclusion of the Vietnam War. Australian troops have been involved in a range of conflicts, often as part of an international coalition, for example those deployed to the Middle East Area of Operations (MEAO) as part of the International Security Assistance Force.
Free and confidential VVCS services are available to:
- Australian veterans of all conflicts, along with current and former ADF members who:
- have served in the Royal Australian Navy as a submariner;
- have been medically discharged ;
- have been involved in a serious training accident; or
- have a DVA-accepted mental health disability
The mental health concerns that veterans deployed to recent conflicts and operations commonly experience include:
- Difficulty adjusting to normal tempo after deployment (or a series of deployments)
- Challenges transitioning to civilian life after separation from ADF
- Difficulties with relationships, including social exclusion
- Problems with anger control
- Depression and anxiety
- Substance and alcohol misuse
- Diagnosed PTSD.