Doing Anger Differently
Anger is a normal human emotion and can serve useful purposes when controlled or directed productively. However, when anger gets out of control and becomes the habitual response to everyday events it can become a problem. Problematic anger can destroy relationships and have wide-ranging negative effects on others. If you recognise you have an anger problem, the goal is to manage it more effectively so that it doesn’t impact on your or others’ lives.
VVCS can assist you to manage your anger more effectively through both the Anger Management Group Program and counselling.
Doing Anger Differently is an educational and skills based group program assisting participants to understand anger and aggression. It provides participants with strategies to manage thoughts and feelings which may contribute to anger and to prevent aggressive behaviours.
Through this program participants will:
- Develop an understanding of anger and aggression
- Identify personal triggers for angry feelings and aggressive behaviours
- Learn strategies to reduce physiological arousal
- Develop an understanding of how thoughts, values and beliefs, including military culture, can influence anger and aggressive behaviours
- Develop strategies and skills to prevent aggressive behaviours
- Understand the impact of anger on relationships and develop skills to express needs and deal with conflict constructively
- Develop skills to communicate more effectively and reduce the risk of anger fuelled interactions.
The full program is a 2 hour session once a week for 10 weeks.
Shorter workshops are also available in some areas.
Phone VVCS on 1800 011 046 in business hours to find out what is available in your area.
See the VVCS group programs calendar for program dates in your area.
Visit the AT EASE website for more information about understanding and managing anger.